House, situated between Twickenham and Richmond in Surrey, is a Jacobean
residence built by Sir Thomas Vavasour in 1610. Charles II's minister, the
Duke of Lauderdale, lived there for many years.
are several ghosts that haunt this house, including the spirit of the evil
In her old age, the Duchess took to wandering the house at night carrying her
silver-headed cane. A ghostly tapping sound coming from the corridors of the
house has been heard on numerous occasions.
young girl that was staying at the house was awakened one night by an old
woman scratching and clawing at the fireplace set in the wall of her room. The
sight of the woman terrified the girl, as she had an evil expression on her
face. The fireplace was later examined, and a hollow space within it was found
containing papers stating that the Countess of Dysart had murdered her first
husband in order to marry the Duke of Lauderdale. She succeeded in her scheme,
and became the Duchess. It is believed that her ghost was searching for the
papers to conceal her crimes.
ghost of a King Charles spaniel is often seen in the grounds of Ham House in
broad daylight. This lively spirit is very popular with visitors.